Mama’s Kitchen is a non-profit organization based here in San Diego. Mama’s Kitchen strives to provide nutritional support to our San Diegan residents at risk of malnutrition due to critical illnesses such as HIV, cancer, congestive heart failure, type 2 diabetes, and chronic kidney disease. Along with hundreds of volunteers, businesses, and community supporters, we strive to help our clients stay healthy by providing free, medically tailored home-delivered meals, pantry services, and nutritional education. At Mama’s Kitchen, we value dignity, respect, reliability, integrity, and diversity. We strive for a future where we live in a community where all individuals with critical illnesses are no longer vulnerable to malnutrition. For more information about our work, visit https://www.mamaskitchen.org/.
Due to the pandemic, we have seen a decrease in volunteers. While the number of volunteers decreased, the number of clients increased significantly.
It’s time for the annual Mama’s Pie event. This is where local San Diego Bakers donate pies to our organization and volunteers sell the pies to their friends, families, and coworkers. All the money will go back to feeding our clients. We are looking for many volunteers to help participate in this event.
We have a variety of volunteer opportunities here at Mama’s Kitchen.
Mama’s Pie Volunteer Opportunities:
- Pie Box Party – Help us build, label, and deliver the pie boxes (Nov. 10-11)
- Pie Central Staging Operations – Help receive, sort, and prepare pie orders (Nov. 21-23)
- Pie Pick-Up and Drop-Off Delivery Drivers – Assist in picking up pies from bakers and dropping off pies at private and public pick-up sites (Nov. 21-23)
- Public Pick-Up Site Coordinator – Distribute pre-sold pies to pie buyers at one of 10 public pick-up sites throughout San Diego (Nov. 23)
- Pie Support Team – Support the team with last-minute drop-off and urgent needs
- Cleanup – Support with event breakdown and clean-up (Nov. 23)
To learn more about Mama’s Pies, you can check out https://mamaspies.org/
We ask that any new Volunteers fill out an application on our website: https://www.mamaskitchen.org/volunteer/opportunities/
Then attend our online orientation. Dates of our online orientation and link can be found here: https://www.mamaskitchen.org/volunteer/opportunities/.
For the week of Thanksgiving, we still need to deliver meals to our clients. Our normal delivery days are Tuesdays and Fridays, but we will deliver on Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) instead of Friday to our clients, with the delivery window being from 11am-2pm (Nov. 24).